So in the spirit of Halloween and all things scary, here are six scary sleep apnea facts everyone should know about:
- People with sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly while they’re sleeping. This can happen hundreds of times per night, and often for a full minute or longer. This is often why people with sleep apnea will gasp or choke while sleeping.
- Untreated sleep apnea can lead to some pretty scary health complications, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and depression
- Many people have no idea they have sleep apnea. Studies estimate nearly 80% of people who have this sleep disorder are undiagnosed.
- Sleep apnea sufferers are 2.5 times more likely to be the driver in a car accident than those who don’t have this sleep disorder
- Weight gain. Extra pounds raise your chances of getting sleep apnea, and the condition also makes it harder to slim down.
- Sleep loss can lead to irreversible brain cell damage.
Bonus Fact!: CPAP masks are breeding grounds for mold, bacteria, and viruses, which thrive in warm, moist environments. CPAP users who do NOT clean their supplies regularly, have an 18% higher risk of getting an infectious disease than those who do properly clean their supplies, typically as a result of dirty CPAP equipment.
Disclaimer: The information provided on CPAPnation.com is solely for educational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. CPAPnation.com is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site. Reliance on any information provided by CPAPnation.com is solely at your own risk.